Mars Hill is the kind of church men would love to attend.
Every Sunday, church pews fill up with despondent women who are forced to worship without the men in their lives. A recent survey by Ellison Research found that 31% of men never attend church even on holidays believing that church is for women, weirdos and wimps.
This sad statistic prompts parishioners and ministers alike to ask: “Where are the men?” While it’s true that several men spend their Sundays satisfying their vices for sports, beer, and sleep, men who don’t attend church usually have more substantial reasons for not attending.
However, I’d like to share five reasons why I believe Mars Hill is a church men would love to attend.
- You won’t hear: “Be Innocent as Doves” – You’ll be encouraged to be wise as serpents: “This type of language handcuffs & robs men of power and strength. The same word for ‘wise” that Jesus used can also be translated as shrewd and cunning. Jesus commends shrewd behavior as found in the Parable of the Shrewd Manager (Luke 16). We largely condemn shrewdness and think it’s synonymous with criminal behavior. Other churches want nice men. Jesus, according to his own words, wants shrewd ones.
- You won’t be encouraged to be “Avoid Anger” – You’ll be encouraged to “Manage” It: Scriptures reveals how Jesus was angry. If you read the Gospels carefully, we would say that Jesus was a bad Christian man because he got angry so much. Most men have not been shown a better way…how to properly handle this primary emotion for guys since unresolved anger can lead to depression, alcohol and drug abuse, and even impotency.
- We don’t beg – We Take One Offering – PERIOD: God doesn’t want your money – He wants YOU! If He did, He’d take it all & not ask for your permission. With rising unemployment and a higher cost of living the last thing any man wants to see when he goes to church is a pastor with his hand out asking for more than his fair share of his income.
- Our Services are not long – We worship God, hear His Word, Give & Go Home: Going to some churches interferes with your leisure time. Once the announcements, singing and long sermon is over for some it is half-time at the Bulls or Bears game that they planned to watch at home…Not so at Mars Hill!
- We won’t beat you down – You’ll be empowered: Some churches are unsympathetic to what men experience. Since many men attend church to mend their battered egos, they get upset when the minister adds insult to injury by attacking them in his sermon….NOT AT MARS HILL. We’ll encourage you through inspiring – life-giving preaching that’ll challenge & empower you to make a difference in life.
Join us tonight for our Men’s Only Worship Experience (8PM)!
Mars Hill, a church men would love to attend…I like that!